Tuğrul Tarım, the second largest raisin exporter in Türkiye, continues its operations in Manisa region which almost meets the entire dried grape production in Türkiye and is one of the most important grape production centers in the world. The company was founded in the 1960s to trade in dried grape and cotton production before producing raisins in 1994. It has relied on TOMRA sorting machines since 1996. As part of its continuous commitment to improving product quality and production capacity, the business recently purchased the new TOMRA 5C optical sorting machine.
Today, Tuğrul Tarım’s 42,000 square-meter premises in Manisa Salihli, in the country's Aegean Region, handle 35,000 to 40,000 tons of raisins every year. All of this production is exported. Some 80 percent is sold as bulk products to leading European pastry, muesli, and food producers. The other 20 percent is sold as packaged products for private-label retail chains. In addition to shipping mainly to the United Kingdom, Germany, and Italy, the company also sells to Australia and New Zealand.
Emre Tuğrul, General Manager of Tuğrul Tarım, explained: "Grape products have great importance in our country's global trade. Türkiye is the world's second largest producer of seedless raisins, behind only the USA, and Türkiye is the world's largest exporter of seedless raisins, shipping to approximately 120 countries. Almost 90 percent of raisins for export, the Sultana type, are grown in Manisa. Although volumes can vary because of climatic conditions, Türkiye typically produces 300,000 tons per year, which is 20 percent of all global production. On average, 260,000 tons are exported annually, and 10 to 15 percent of this volume comes from Tuğrul Tarım. Having such an important responsibility, we do not compromise on innovation. That's why, since 1996, we have been investing in TOMRA machines."
TOMRA's technologies have raised production capacity
For years Tuğrul Tarım has stayed ahead of the game by using five TOMRA Helius free-fall optical sorting machines and two TOMRA Ixus Bulk x-ray sorting machines. Recent technological advances, however, mean that newer and more sophisticated options are now available which perform with even greater sorting accuracy, improve yields, and increase throughput - which means they also enhance cost-effectiveness. Hence Tuğrul Tarım’s decision to invest in a TOMRA 5C.