Share this page


Bademcioğlu Gıda is deploying TOMRA Food’s innovative TOMRA 3C sorter to improve almond processing efficiencies

05 May 2021

By installing the new TOMRA 3C optical sorting machine, Gaziantep-based business Bademcioğlu Gıda plans to optimize its almond processing operations. With this new machine, it will be possible to increase product quality and throughput at the same time as reducing food waste by detecting quality defects in products and sorting out by-products.



Bademcioğlu makes more than 3,000 tons of processed almonds available to the domestic market annually. Some 80% of these almonds are procured from Turkey and the remaining 20% imported. Yakup Ali Kaplan, General Manager for the company, says: "Turkey seems to rely on imports for almonds, but this picture is changing with the increasing number of producers and increasing amount of high-quality output here. With the right investments, we believe we will be able to satisfy our domestic market requirements in the next 10 years. That's why technology investments are crucial. We need to avoid possible labor-related issues and to minimize product waste by using optical sorters."


Before deciding to buy the TOMRA 3C, Bademcioğlu Gıda visited almost 20 facilities in Spain, the world’s second-top almond processor after the USA. Yakup Ali Kaplan explains: "We had the opportunity to observe the TOMRA optical sorter machines in these facilities and saw how impressive the results are. Optical sorters optimize yields by reducing false sorting rates, and by enabling precise product-grading they also improve product quality."

Ahmet Koçyiğit, Sales Manager for TOMRA Food Turkey, mentioned that Bademcioğlu intends to use the TOMRA 3C sorters for the first time to process almonds in Turkey and commented: “The TOMRA 3C will allow Bademcioğlu to improve product yields through the removal of foreign materials which are comparable in size and structure to the good product defects which cannot be removed by mechanical pre-cleaners. This will also prevent food waste and commercial losses by detecting quality defects and by-products in the waste. To put it simply, TOMRA’s machine will recover wasted products."

The TOMRA 3C performs sorting tasks not previously possible with channel sorters, and with the highest capacity and success rates. This is thanks to the machine’s unrivalled multiple spectral cameras and laser technologies - a unique combination which enables the detection of product defects even when defects are identical in color and structure to good products. The TOMRA 3C is also offered with color cameras only for cost-effective high performance in simpler sorting processes.

Yakup Ali Kaplan says it is also important that the TOMRA 3C helps ensure hygiene in food processing: "Manual sorting can unfortunately lead to quality losses because of the impossibility of detecting quality defects invisible to the human eye, and can also cause product waste through false rejects. But advanced optical sorting technologies eliminate both of these problems. In addition, hygiene risks exist when there is contact with employees during the manual processing of products, even with the increased caution being exercised during the pandemic, and even when such contact is kept to a minimum. However, such risk is minimized by sorting with machinery."




For nut processing, the TOMRA 3C is designed to perform well, consistently, and reliably in the harsh conditions of product acceptance, shelling, and pre-cleaning. This machine is also a highly effective sorting solution for for seeds, grains, beans, and pulses.


TOMRA Food contact us